Great Oral Health is Overall Better Health
My intent is to touch upon problems which show up in your mouth and could be indicators for something going awry.
Good Oral Health = Awesome Whole Health
We have all heard "Your mouth is a mirror of your health".
We have also heard sayings like "My whole family has soft teeth"
- or - "Most of my family had dentures at a young age".
Ever given a thought to these statements and wonder if they really are true?
Well then there is "Brushing and flossing will keep cavities away and you'll have a healthier mouth"
Really? Is that it?
I have been a Hygienist for over 25 years and there is more to Oral Health and Whole Health.
Here are few points I would like to make.
Nutrition, Lifestyle, Health, Medications just to mention a few.
Diabetes and Your Smile
This metabolic problem is on the rise and not just in the aging population but more children are being affected now. Approximately 1.7 million cases are being diagnosed each year. Diabetes causes problems with every part of your body and organs.
So what does it have to do with your Smile?
Here are some of the symptoms and being left untreated will take a toll on your mouth:
- You may have less saliva, causing your mouth to feel dry.
- (Medications can cause dry mouth also)
- Because saliva protects your teeth, you are now at a higher risk of cavities.
- Gums may become inflamed and bleed more(gingivitis)
- Food may be tasting different ( Tastebuds are affected by less saliva)
- You may experience delayed wound healing
- You may be more susceptible to infections of your mouth (gingivitis or periodontal problems)
- For children with diabetes, teeth may erupt at an age earlier than is typical
We have millions of bacteria living in our mouth and as long as we are healthy they get along just fine. In the case of diabetes the balance is off and some of the bacteria will cause damage and affect the natural healthy balance.
Practicing good oral hygiene and having professional cleanings done by your Hygienist can help in keeping your overall blood sugar lower.
Let's keep smiling!
Your Grins Team